If you’re looking for the deluxe camp eating experience, then you’ve come to the right place, because today we’ve got some amazing Three Cheese Beer Dip…. cooked right at camp!
With our kids sleeping better (we’re on TWO NIGHTS in a ROW of all three kids sleeping through the night!) our fancy camp food desires have returned! And since we’re camping for about a week this time, we have lined up a big line of amazing dutch oven cooked food that will make you feel like you’re at home (or if you suck at cooking, at a nice restaraunt!)
This method of cooking involves using an 8” dutch oven with legs – I am not the cook, however, so all further cooking insturctions are going to come from my husband, Eric.
Keep in mind making cheese in a pot isn’t NEAR as messy as you think it’ll be! That’s what amazing about cooking in cast iron – if it’s a well seasoned and taken care of piece you have, things won’t stick like normal pans. In fact, I find them much easier to clean than “non stick” pans!
What you’ll need to cook up this delicious dutch oven camp recipe
We used a Lodge 8″ Dutch Oven with legs as well as a lid lifter! There are plenty of good cast iron brands out there, but we definitely consider Lodge the best!
The ingredients are below – just include a couple of your favorite cheeses if you aren’t a fan of any that we included!
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz mozzarella shredded
- 8 oz smoked gouda (cut into small pieces)
- Half of large jalapeno (no seeds) sliced thin
- 4 pieces of cooked, crisped bacon (cut into small pieces)
- Roasted Garlic (roast in foil on fire)
- ½ can beer (non light)
- Mix all the ingredients in the dutch oven together except for the bacon
- Prepare dutch oven for 350 degrees (5 coals on the bottom, 11 coals on lid) - Double the size of your oven to find the amount of coals you need, and put roughly ⅓ under it for 350 degree temps
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes (or until melted). Rotate lid and whole dutch oven every 5 minutes for even cooking
- Once cooked (it’s all melted and hot) sprinkle bacon on top
- Done! Enjoy with pretzels or crackers (and invite some friends… this is ALOT of cheese dip!)
We used an 8" dutch oven with legs and Kingsford coals!
- Lodge Camp Dutch Oven Lid Lifter. Black 9 MM Bar Stock for Lifting and Carrying Dutch Ovens. (Black Finish)
- Lodge Camp Dutch Oven, 2 Qt
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 84mg Sodium: 588mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Protein: 17g
Ready to enjoy some cheesy goodness next time you camp?
It doesn’t ALL have to be typical “camp food!” I hope you have enjoyed this recipe for your dutch oven and heck… cook it at home even!