More people than ever are hitting the road with their business and finding the need to create an RV office to work from.
While there are a variety of camper floorplans, there are some office musts (such as a desk and chair) that are compact and work almost anywhere.
Check out some of these office ideas and start planning your own “Office on Wheels!”
What are some ideas to put an office in an RV?
Tearing out a dinette is the most popular option, but there are SO many floorplans and work flows, so it’s likely that all these solutions will be possible.
However, here are some workspace ideas I’ll show you today
- Tear out and replace the dinette
- Tear out and replace the couch/recliners
- Use the bedroom (the bed can be the seat)
- Use the garage area of a toy hauler
- Custom build a desk insert to create more office space
- Utilize a fold down desk set up
- Convert the bunkhouse to an office
- Create a standing workspace (and mount the monitors up high!)
- For RVs, use the front seat area
- Lastly… just buy it already built in!
For more information, scroll to the bottom of this article for a FAQ. To see video tours of some RV home offices, check out this video!
Tear out the dinette and replace it with an office setup
This is the most common solution – dinettes are usually pretty easy to remove and are the perfect size for a small office. If you are able to custom build anything, you’ll be able to utilize the space even better.
Bunkhouses converted to home RV offices
If you prefer some space, then you might love the idea of getting a camper that has a separate bunkhouse area. They also have a ton of space, a door, and a bit of natural light!
Built In Desk Options (No Modifying… it’s ready to use!)
Many RV manufacturers have noticed the ever increasing amount of campers working on the road, and it seems they’ve responded! I didn’t even know this was a thing until I started researching options myself, but this could save a lot of time, especially if you already know you plan to work from your RV.
Converted toy hauler/garage to RV home office!
These layouts are the best idea for families who plan on homeschooling or couples who work from the road. They have plenty of space, light, and since they’re completely open, you can really modify to your exact needs!
Couples / Double Monitor Office Setups in Campers
If both partners work, or you have multiple kids who need internet access for schoolwork, these home office camper ideas have enough space for 2+ monitors!
Misc. Other RV Office Ideas
These don’t fit in a particular category, but are great ideas worth sharing!
FAQ Creating the RV Workspace of You Dreams
What are some more modern decor ideas for my camper office?
For more decor ideas, I recommend checking out this beautiful roundup!
What RVs come with an office already built in?
If you already know you want your next RV or camper to have space for an office, why DIY it – just buy a camper with a floorplan that already includes it. Here are some – for a full list, check this list out!
- Keystone HIdeout 38FKTS
- Keystone Cougar 31MBS
- Montana Keystone Arcadia 3660RL
- Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
- Winnebago Forza 38D
- Fleetwood Discovery LXE 36HQ
This Youtube video features some 5th wheels that come with offices built into the midbunk area!
What type of chairs and desks work well in an RV office?
Unless you have special medical requirements, or a ton of space, something that is comfy but compact is a great option.
- Folding Ergonomic Chair – This one has a fold in back so that it’s easier to stow away when not in use. It’s also a back friendly design!
- Stand Up Desk – It saves a ton of space and is healthier for you than sitting around all day (especially after already driving so much!)
- 2 Tier Desk to Save Space – Go up, not out! I love that this desk is all metal and on wheels (so it’s easy to move). THere’s spots for a printer, keyboard, tower and monitor!
- Folding Desk w/Shelf – If you don’t want to leave your workstation set up, a foldable desk is a great desk option for your RV
- Flip Down Desk – If you hae some wall space and feel confident with mounting something in your camper, this is an AWESOME option – espeically for in the bedroom (since you can just use the foot of the bed as a seat)
Do you feel ready to take your office on the road?
I hope all these tips have helped inspire you – let me know if you have had an awesome office conversion so I can add it to this list!
Here are some other RVing tips that may help ya out
- 10 Ways To Afford Roadschooling – While roadschooling is in the title, this is actually an awesome resource for anyone looking to live and work on the road!
- Complete Guide to RV Wifi – If you’re working on the road, then you’ll likely be needing wifi! It’s much simpler than you think to get awesome wifi while RVing!
- RV Checklists to Keep it Organized – Until you get in the flow of things, it’s easy to forget something… there’s alot to pack initially!
- 25 RV Features to Think Twice About – If you haven’t already bought your camper, check out these features people wished they would hae thought about BEFORE buying
- 11 RV Kids Bunk Room Ideas PERFECT for Families! - May 13, 2022
- 11 Best Warm Weather Sleeping Bags for Summer of 2022￼ - May 12, 2022
- 11 Cool Travel Trailers Under 2000 lbs | Video Tours!￼ - May 12, 2022