If you have a travel trailer and have struggled with how best to utilize that weird, long outside storage compartment then you will love today’s quick DIY!
I LOVE all the Facebook RV groups because of the plethora of information and DIY’s shared – today’s comes from C. Prachar, and she is sharing how she whipped up a simple but effective solution to all that weird, almost unusable storage space.
What you’ll need to make this handy storage bin for your camper
- Sheet of 1/2″ plywood
- Varrying # of 2x4s (enough to make a track on both sides that extends the full length of the storage space)
- Industrial strength rollers
- Paint to match camper (optional)
- L Brackets
- Hooks to hold the bin in place while in transit
- 1 Sheet of 1/2" Plywood
- 2x4s for tracks
- L Brackets (varies by size)
- UHMW for tops of track
- Set of Industrial Rollers
- Small Handle
- Hooks to hold in place while in transit
- Clear out your work area - this bin design is intended for campers with long storage spots like this!
- After taking measurements, assemble the box itself
- Use L brackets to secure the dividers in position. Make sure to know what you're going to store here so that they will be the right size!
- Add the wheels to the corners of the bin (make sure they are an industrial pair like this so that they can handle the weight!)
- Attach the handle and paint it to match the color scheme of your camper
- Using the 2x4s, making a track that goes the full length of the compartment and secure with L Brackets. Add this UHMW Tape on top so that the wheels glide easier!
- Add the hooks to the ends of the bin to stop it from moving around as much while in transit
Did you make it (or something similar?) Let me know so I can add it to this post!
One of my goals has always been to have a ton of helpful ideas in one spot – if you’ve made one yourself, I’d love to add it to this article so that others might be inspired as well!
Here are some more helpful tips to organize your camping life!
- 13 Best Quiet RV Generators (2021) for Camping in Peace
- 11 Best RV Covers for Winter | Video Reviews + Buyer’s Guide
- To compliment your RV outdoor mats, check out the Best RV Step Covers
- 61 tips to completely organize your whole camper (from a professional organizer turned full timer!)
- The secret listing tips to get your camper sold or rented FAST
- 9 gross spots in your RV you probably totally missed!
- Get your RV Shower set up spill proof with these easy tips
- This set of basic tools should fix almost anything in your camper
- 9 steps to organize your tiny RV bathroom and gain a ton of space!
- Check out how to DIY your own black out shades for your RV for temperature control and darkened afternoon naps
- All the outdoor upgrades for your RV that will make camp life way easier (check out the indoor RV upgrades too!)
P.S.Please let me know if you prefer your DIY to not be listed on my website or would like a link to something of yours. Every effort is made to find a website or social to link to!
- How to Waterproof a Tent: Master the Art of Staying Dry in the Great Outdoors - November 18, 2023
- The Ultimate Tent Camping Checklist: Don’t Forget a Thing! - November 16, 2023
- The Top 9 Slide Out Camp Kitchens And DIYs - October 5, 2023