Whether you’re looking for some educational fun for a family lake trip or just looking to learn more about frogs and their life cycle, this pond jar craft and activity pack will be perfect!
My family recently visited a local spot called “The Beaver Ponds” for a day of kayaking and paddle boarding when we encountered “Mermaid Grass”. It was really a combination of a lot of grasses and pond/lake life, but it got us curious to learn more about what might live inside – specifically frogs!
My kids could not stop talking about mermaid grass and how magical it was so I figured I’d take advantage of an opportunity to make our own magical mermaid grass pond and learn some about frogs who might live in there!
How to make your own mini pond at home with kids
This is mostly a creative craft, but it does help to point younger kids in the right direction if needed!
- Jar with a very tight sealing led (we used a large mason jar)
- Some rocks (if you go to the lake/pond, make sure to get some from there!)
- A fake frog or fish of some sort for fun
- Some "mermaid grass" material - we had green wool but green yarn is just fine too!
- Branches or other places kids imagine small pond life might like or hide in
- Get all the materials ready for the kids on their own plate. I learned the hard way to prep ahead because kids are excited and impatient!
- Put the rocks in first. We chose not to include sand so that the water would stay clearer!
- Now add in any branches or other small materials your child has collected into the jar. My kids wanted to put a lily pad in, so we got some aluminum foil and colored it green. A bottle cap might work for this too!
- "Mermaid Grass" time! Using your material of choice (we used green wool) pick it apart a bit then put it in the jar. It may be helpful to come back after and make sure it's secured under some rocks.
- Now add your fish/frog of choice and fill it up! A bag of fake fishing lures could work (they have worms, frogs etc) or some other type of frog. We used one that was leftover from a game we don't have anymore.
Shout out to Aunt Jenny for captivating all the kids at the Beaver Ponds that day! =D
Frog Activity Pack for an extra educational boost
I wanted to include an optional activity portion for those who wanted to add some learning to this – they’re super cute and have some basic info about a frog and it’s life cycle!
My oldest did this at school so it was a nice reminder for him and something new for my twins!
What’s in the frog life cycle activity pack?
- Labeling Activity + labels to practice correctly identifying each stage of the frog’s life cycle
- Frog life cycle sequence cards
- Fun frog facts (gotta throw in some fun for the kids!)
- One large frog life cycle image for kids to color in/bring home
- This cute campfire
hand printthat’s easy and has a free printable template!
- These 55+ camping themed crafts for every occasion!
- A “rip and stick” glowing BEAR lantern craft that’s magical and oh so fun (what kid doesn’t love tearing stuff up?)
- A fun camp themed cootie catcher that inspires creativity and teamwork!
- Give your kids their very own camping journal to document each camp trip in!
- Camping Queen or King Crown Craft – Awesome for the birthday kid at a camp themed party or to reward the best camper!
- This pack of free winter outdoor nature hunts for kids – there’s a type for neighborhoods AND forests!
- These 13 awesome camping books for kids that will really get the camping vibe going!
- Camping BINGO and some fun camping scavenger hunts to really bust boredom at camp!
- Starry night campfire craft made with popsicle sticks and paper!
- Tons of ways to make yummy s’mores (HINT: You DON’T need a campfire or even any open flame!)